Wednesday 4 August 2010

Welcome to the 1000th post of Englands Freedome, Souldiers Rights


I surprise myself. Since starting this blog in September 2007, I've managed to clock up 1000 posts. I've not made any real effort to raise its profile or draw in a wider audience, and I have no idea what it's readership numbers are, the only gauge being those of you who leave comments, which are always gratefully received, and I thank those of you who have done so, reminding me that there is a world out there and not just me, dropping ash on my underpants.

When I began, I chose to write under the nom de plume Trooper William Thompson because I wanted to distance myself from an earlier foray into the world of blogging, which was under my own name. I also wanted to pay homage to the original and best William Thompson, a little-known renegade from the English Civil War, whose life was ended in a shoot-out near Northampton in 1649. 'Englands Freedome, Souldiers Rights' was a pamphlet he wrote, whilst being held captive in 1647. I always intended to tell something of his life, as it is a very interesting story. That I still haven't gives me another reason to keep up this blog.

I have always written pretty much for myself, seeing this blog as merely one among many, offering up the hallowed two finger salute to the government whether tory or labour, the bureaucrats, eurocrats, eugenicists, fabian control-freak scum and all their foul lackeys and fellow travellers letting them know that the spirit of William Thompson lives, and that spirit says:

No surrender.

3 comments:

James Higham said...

Yo! Woo hoo! Congrats.

Corrugated Soundbite said...

Congrats there, Trooper.

For what it's worth, I think the persona suits. You may also have noticed that over the last couple of months, I've nicked inspiration from here (with obligatory hat tips/backlinks, of course). And for that, I thank you ;-)

Excellent stuff.

Trooper Thompson said...

Thank you, friends. I'm always happy to see myself hat-tipped.

Onwards to victory!