Tuesday 27 July 2010

Doctor Who before he learned to hate guns

Taking a small step to reduce my ever-growing book mountain, I gave a load of old Doctor Who books to my friend's kid, who's a fan of the show, including the above number, with my favourite Doctor, Tom Baker. My young friend was most surprised to see the Doctor carrying a firearm on the cover of this and other stories. Apparently since I was a child, the Doctor has developed a hatred of guns; an interesting example of propaganda being inserted into children's television.

(Here's a taste of the story, but be warned! One of the characters smokes a cigar - shocking stuff)

4 comments:

ellie12022 said...

there's alcohol too - shock!

Trooper Thompson said...

Don't watch, madam, it'll only upset you.

ellie12022 said...

I did restrict myself to the first episode in case the excitement of revisiting my childhood was too much(!)Heavens, obviously this is why I'm a cigar smoking alcoholic ninja these days.

Trooper Thompson said...

You too, huh? For me, the draw of Leela was too much to resist.