Thursday 18 November 2010

The Irish Times: the penny drops

Hat tip to Witterings From Witney, who flags up this editorial in the Irish Times, from which the quote below is the beginning. Elsewhere in mondo bloggo, I have recently been accused of 'tribalism' for my opposition to the blood-sucking squid of Brussels. As I made clear, I am no tribalist. My position is international in outlook. Patriotism does not equal xenophobia. Loving my country does not make me hate other countries, any more than loving my family makes me hate other people's families, and insofar as I believe in preservation of national sovereignty, I find allies and friends in all the countries of the EU.
IT MAY seem strange to some that The Irish Times would ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side. There is the shame of it all. Having obtained our political independence from Britain to be the masters of our own affairs, we have now surrendered our sovereignty to the European Commission, the European Central Bank, and the International Monetary Fund. Their representatives ride into Merrion Street today.

Fianna Fáil has sometimes served Ireland very well, sometimes very badly. Even in its worst times, however, it retained some respect for its underlying commitment that the Irish should control their own destinies. It lists among its primary aims the commitment “to maintain the status of Ireland as a sovereign State”. Its founder, Eamon de Valera, in his inaugural address to his new party in 1926, spoke of “the inalienability of national sovereignty” as being fundamental to its beliefs. The Republican Party’s ideals are in tatters now.

Read the whole editorial

2 comments:

JJ said...

I know what you are

I think you really are a xenophobe...eh? C'mon out of the bloody closet.

Trooper Thompson said...

Not me, I love everybody